Thursday

October 3, 2017

Yesterday was one of the brightest days of 2017 for me.

Hearing from the doctor that Sparky is doing better and that the tumor from his chest is smaller made me incredibly happy.

The happiness spilled on the following day as well.

I took Sparky in the late morning to our favorite meadow to play with the ball and be in nature. The sun was up there, the skies clear, birds singing, perfect day to be outside.



During our play, I got a message on my cell phone from my wife saying that I should call the clinic since they want to talk to me. We just talked yesterday, what else is there to talk about? The blood tests! They said that the results will be ready in a few days so this must be it, the vet wants to tell me the results.

I called the clinic with a certain anxiety. One of the assistants connected me with another vet who explained that the blood tests look normal under the circumstances.

What does that mean, exactly, normal under the circumstances?

Some of the liver markers were higher than normal and this applied to the kidneys. The higher values were caused by the prednisone's side effects which is known for having bad impact on the internal organs over time. But the blood test values were not worrying for now and we should consider them as a good sign of Sparky doing well.

Not easy to swallow the "doing well" part when the liver and kidneys were doing worse but probably the vet was right. We knew that prednisone has side effects and here they were.

Just before hanging up, I asked about the second opinion of the radiologist on the chest xrays. Did he agree with the vet's interpretation? Was the chest tumor smaller?

A short pause happened next.

Oh no, what could this mean?  Please, do not tell me something bad ............

Actually, the radiologist said that there is no tumor in the chest. He cannot see any trace of a tumor on the xrays meaning that the tumor is in complete remission for now.

Did I say already that yesterday was one of the best days of the year?

Today is FAR BETTER than yesterday.


1 comment:

  1. Just finished reading your blog. I can't stop bawling My eyes out. I wish I could have given your baby boy sparky a big hug.
    I know have learnt a few things.. not to give my Lilly any bread, pasta or rice.. but lots of steak.. just to spoil her and go out and play. She's on 70mg of steroid medication. She looks as though She has eaten a whole Canibas tree!
    Your story of Sparky has touched my heart. I hope that when my little girl crosses over the rainbow bridge , he will be there to greet her. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete

February 2, 2018

This is the log of the last 5 months of our black labrador retriever, Sparky.  He was diagnosed with lymphoma on September 1, 2017 and died ...