Sunday

Saturday, September 16, 2017

Today was a very difficult day.

I started giving Sparky many different things in addition to the Prednisone and Furosemide. Vitamins, Omega 3 and K9 Immunity.

The result was that he got a bad diarrhea of the worst kind. It made him uncomfortable and in need of going out more often than before, both during the day but also at night.

Last night, my wife walked him at 11 pm and then I had to do it at 1 am, 4.30 am and 7.30 am. What a night! I got up in the morning getting almost no sleep and feeling like a zombi.

I was upset with the outcome but it was not Sparky's fault. The fault was all mine in assumming that I could give Sparky so many things in the same time. I would have to stop the vitamins, omega 3 and the K9 Immunity and focus of fixing the diarrhea which, if not managed fast, could lead to weight loss and dehydration.

I did not want to try the chicken and rice again so spoke to the vet. She suggested giving Sparky the Hills digestive care food which was not ideal for the cancer (as it uses wheat, corn and rice as ingredients) but it could help with the diarrhea.

I bought a bag of the digestive food from a nearby vet and filled Sparky's bowl. As expected, he came closer, sniffed it a few times and went away.

Fortunately, I knew the solution. Got some bacon and cut it in small pieces, then mixed it with the digestive care kibble and served it again. He ate it all this time and even wanted more of it.

Then, the diarrhea stopped but he did not poop either which was probably a sign of improvement.

I will have to try giving him again Omega 3, vitamins and K9 immunity but in a different way. Try one, see if he tolerates it well, then add one more and so on. But first, his stool had to come back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

February 2, 2018

This is the log of the last 5 months of our black labrador retriever, Sparky.  He was diagnosed with lymphoma on September 1, 2017 and died ...