Monday

Friday, September 15, 2017

In the morning, Sparky was very fussy with the food and did not want to eat what I prepared for him the night before. 

He was ok during the morning walk so, since my wife was home that day, I left the food with her to give it to him later and went to work. 

In a coffee break, around 11 am, I checked in with her about how he was doing. He slept the whole morning and did not show any signs of waking up. He did not want to eat anything yet and was not interested in another walk. We both thought that this was fine and agreed to talk again after lunch. 

Around 2 pm, I called her again to find out that his behavior was kind of unusual. Still sleeping, still not eating, not drinking water either (strange since he always drank lots of it), still not wanting to go out. She was starting to believe that something is not right and asked me to come home right away. 

This was not a good sign, I thought, no eating, no drinking water either, sleeping since morning and not going out. I assumed that the worst could happen so jumped in a cab, being sick worried about the dog. 

I got to the door and knocked a few times. A strong and repeated barking came from the other side. The door opened and I saw him, happy as usual to see me. 

He got up, drank water from his bowl and went out for a decent walk to the complete surprise of my wife who joked that "he only wants me for his walks". 

After the walk, since he was starving, I made one of his "diet" meals, good, juicy beef steak, fried in the pan with no oil. He ate 2 of them, around 800 grams of meat and was normal for the rest of the day. 

We ended the evening grateful that another day passed and he was still around. 

I also learned that, going forward, I wont go to work without him having breakfast first. I would prepare something (steak) the night before. If he ate it for breakfast, great. If not, I would have some other options ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

February 2, 2018

This is the log of the last 5 months of our black labrador retriever, Sparky.  He was diagnosed with lymphoma on September 1, 2017 and died ...